Geauga Park District is pleased to unveil its upcoming fall repertoire for Elderberries: Seniors Ripe for Adventure!, featuring horse-drawn wagon rides, a 1910s-style family vacation, and a special appearance by Lake Metroparks’ live hawks!
Registration is required at 440-286-9516 or Geauga Park District for Elderberries programming, all co-presented by Geauga Park District, the Geauga Department on Aging and University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center, and partially wheelchair accessible depending on your choice of activities.
- Elderberries: Fall Wagon Ride – Thursday, October 18th from 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. at Swine Creek Reservation, Woods Edge
Join us for a naturalist-led wagon ride to enjoy natural wonders unique to autumn, beginning with a free picnic lunch for you at 11:30 a.m.
- Elderberries: Land of Lakes & Ledges – Thursday, November 15th from 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. at The West Woods, Nature Center
Attend an illustrated program using vintage postcards, photographs and even a few silent movie clips as we follow the adventures of a Cleveland family vacationing in Geauga in the 1910s, prior to the establishment of park systems. Traveling by auto and interurban rail, the itinerary includes Little Mountain, Chardon, Bass Lake, Burton and the Chesterland Caves. Refreshments will be provided.
- Elderberries: Hawks and Hot Lunch – Thursday, December 6th from 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m at The West Woods, Nature Center
Join us for a hot lunch in the nature center, followed by a “hawk talk” introducing the birds of prey that frequent our area in winter. Special guests are a Rough-legged Hawk and Short-eared Owl, exquisite winter raptors of our region, courtesy of Lake Metroparks’ Kevin Clinton Wildlife Center.
Seniors and their grandkids are also invited to register for Grandparents in the Park on Thursday, December 27th from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at The West Wood Nature Center, where a naturalist will lead hands-on indoor activities celebrating our feathered friends. Please bring a snack to share; beverages will be provided.
Also, did you know park naturalists lead Geauga Walkers hikes for active seniors year-round, usually a couple Tuesdays a month from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.? Upcoming hikes this season are:
- October 9th at Burton Wetlands Nature Preserve
- October 23rd at Frohring Meadows
- November 6th at The Maple Highlands Trails’ Big Creek Spur on Ravenna Road
- November 20th at Big Creek Park’s Woodin Road Parking Lot
- December 4th at Bessie Benner Metzenbaum Park
- December 18th at Bass Lake Preserve – special time 12:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
Registration is not required for Geauga Walkers hikes, which are not wheelchair accessible. For the season’s complete Geauga Walkers schedule, please call Geauga Senior Center at 440-279-2137.
For more on Geauga Park District offerings, please call 440-286-9516 or visit Geauga Park District online via Geauga Park District, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube.