- Fill a clean, plastic bucket with 1 gallon of hot water. Add 2 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap and 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol to the warm water and mix thoroughly with a long-handled spoon. Use the original blue Dawn dish soap that does not contain bleach.
- Pour the hot, soapy mixture into a clean garden sprayer.
- Use the garden sprayer to soak the icy driveway with the Dawn dish soap mixture. If needed, repeat the process until you have covered the entire driveway in the soapy mixture. Alternatively, dump the mixture directly on the driveway if a garden sprayer is not available.
Dawn dish soap does not freeze at below zero temperatures. It is inexpensive and will not damage any surfaces you put it on, like rock salt can.
Other uses for Original Blue Dawn Dish Soap
- For kids and animals – it can be used to clean your pets, and other wildlife that have grease, oil, soot, and other substances on them. It is also great as a flea bath on dogs and cats. It kills fleas on contact. It is gentle enough to use for kids that may have gotten into vaseline or baby oil as well.
- Homemade bubbles – just mix a 1/2 cup of Dawn with a 1/2 gallon of warm water and 1 tablespoon of glycerin or white karo syrup. Stir gently.
- Houseplant care – a safe, effective way to repel insects from your houseplants or just to clean dusty leaves. Mix a few drops of Dawn into a spray bottle with water. Shake well and mist your plants.
- Glass cleaner – Mix 3 drops of Dawn with one gallon of water and fill a spray bottle.
- Cleaning tools – soak your oily, grimy tools in Dawn before you put them away to remove oil and grime and to help prevent rust from forming on your tools.
- Ice pack – partially fill a strong zip type freezer bag with Dawn, close and freeze. It can be refrozen many times and it stays cold much longer.
- Ant repellant – Spray your countertops with a solution of Dawn and water and wipe dry. Ants can detect the slight residue of Dawn and hate it! You can also spray ants directly with that solution.
- Poison Ivy – washing the affected area with Dawn helps dry up the fluid and keep it from spreading
- Clogged toilet – allow a cup of dawn to sit in a clogged toilet for 15 minutes. Then dump a busket of hot water in the toilet poured from waist height. This should clear the clog.
- Skin and Hair – washing with Dawn can help reduce the oil in your hair and skin.
- Oily stains – apply some Dawn as a pre-treatment to oily stains on clothes before you put them in the laundry. Scrub the stain with a small brush or toothbrush until the oily stain is removed.