Here’s a yummy campfire recipe I know you are sure to enjoy! This is a tried and true recipe that comes to you with special thanks to my camping neighbor Melissa Dowhan. I don’t know of any other camper that commits to using the Dutch oven as much as or more than Melissa, and everything she makes in her Dutch oven is always so delicious.
The chicken in this recipe comes out moist and tender as do the potatoes and carrots. I hope you get the chance to make this recipe while on the road camping, or right outside in your backyard.
- 1 whole roasting chicken (Chicken must fit in Dutch oven with vegetables, and with the lid closed).
- 7-8 red skin potatoes (washed and quartered)
- 5-6 carrots (peeled and cut into 3” pieces)
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 2-3 Tbsp. of all-purpose flour (only if you make gravy)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Start 8 charcoal briquettes in a fire pit
- Place your covered Dutch oven on top of them to preheat it.
- Wash the chicken and clean out the cavity of gizzards and innards
- Pat chicken dry and rub all over with the spice rub, place the Thyme in the cavity
- When Dutch oven is warm, start more charcoal for 350 degrees (as per chart below)
- Place chicken into the oven to sear it, flip over and sear the other side
- Remove the chicken and place potatoes and carrots in the oven, place the chicken back on top and nestle it down so that the lid will fit
- Place the covered Dutch oven onto fresh coals and put coals on top
- Do not disturb for one hour. Check the internal temperature of the chicken after one hour for 165 degrees
- (If you do not have a thermometer, err on the side of caution, and wait until the legs begin to split away from the body of the chicken)
To achieve 350 degrees: Take the diameter of your Dutch oven x 2. Divide that answer by 3. 1/3 of coals under with 2/3 of the coals on top. Example: A 12” Dutch oven- 12 coals x 2 = 24 coals, 24 divided by 3 is 8, For a 12“Dutch oven 8 coals are placed under, with the remaining 16 coals on top.
Enjoy your meal with your favorite side of fruit, along with bread and butter to complete the meal.
Look for more delicious recipes to follow!