Now that we have created a couple of yummy Dutch oven meals, how about a delicious homemade apple pie recipe? As difficult as it may seem to bake an pie in a Dutch oven outside on a fire, it really is pretty simple, in fact it is super simple! What a perfect dessert for your guests on a summer camping trip.
- 3 cans of apple pie filling
- 1 box of Golden Vanilla Cake mix
- ¾ stick of butter
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in bottom of your Dutch oven
- Place all 3 cans of filling on top of butter in your oven
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Pour the dry cake mix over top
- Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and place evenly over dry cake mix
- Cover with the Dutch oven lid
- Place the Dutch over hot coals and place on top of lid 8-10 coal briquettes (ones that have ashed over, or are now white)
- Keep your Dutch oven covered and cook for 45-60 minutes until filling is bubbly and the top crust is light golden brown.
That’s it, now wasn’t that simple! Enjoy this pie recipe with a cold scoop of your favorite ice-cream, or topped with a dollop of whipped cream, delicious!