Take all the work and mess out of preparing your next St. Patrick’s Day feast by simply using your slow cooker. This recipe is a favorite in our home, and I like the convenience of its simplicity and cleanup. Days later you can easily reheat the leftovers or make sandwiches out of any remaining corned beef. To make it even easier on myself, I get everything ready the night before, then come morning I throw everything in my slow cooker, set it to high, and walk away for the next 8 hours. Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage is the perfect meal to come home to on St. Patrick’s Day, or any day of the week, this dish travels well for any pot luck dinners too! You won’t be disappointed with this tried and true recipe!
- 10 baby red potatoes, quartered (you don’t have to peel them)
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, cut into pieces
- 4 cups of water
- 4 pounds of corned beef brisket, with a spice packet
- 6 ounce can of beer, any kind of beer will do
- ½ head of cabbage, chopped
- Place onions and potatoes in to the bottom of your slow cooker
- Pour the 4 cups of water in and place the brisket on top
- Sprinkle the brisket with the spice packet
- Pour half of the can of beer over the top of your brisket, enjoy the rest yourself!
- Cook 8 hours on high
- On the 8th hour, stir in the cabbage pieces, cover, and continue cooking for 1 – 2 hours on low
Note: For dessert serve up a hearty dish of homemade apple pie with your favorite ice cream.
Contributed by Sheryl Gusler of “In the Kitchen with Sheryl!”