East Geauga Kiwanis is a community service organization working in the Claridon, Huntsburg, Middlefield, Burton, Parkman and Troy area. Each year the East Geauga Kiwanis hosts an event in which it honors local students for outstanding scholastics and community service.
This year the dinner and awards ceremony were held on June 18 at the First United Methodist Church in Middlefield.
Eight students total from both Berkshire and Cardinal high schools each received $1000.
Outstanding Freshman Award
- Halla Reed from Berkshire High School
- Jarett Smetana from Berkshire High School
- Kathryn Dhayer from Cardinal High School
- Cole Zemelka from Cardinal High School
Outstanding Senior Award
- Austin Ambrose from Berkshire High School
- Rebecca Wolff from Cardinal High School
- Michael Peters from Cardinal High School. Michael was also a member of Cardinal Key Club, which is the high school version of Kiwanis.
Richard A. Moss Service Award
- Elini Timas
The Richard A. Moss Service Award is given to a senior who has done outstanding community service throughout the year. Richard (Dick) Moss was a former member of the East Geauga Kiwanis Club and specifically set up this award in his will to be given out each year to a senior who shows outstanding community service.
Awards were given out by Claire Zurbuch, chairman of the awards committee. Other members of the committee are Dave Brockway, Ed Ward, and Dr. Jack Youshak.
The East Geauga Kiwanis Club would like to thank the First United Methodist Church of Middlefield Women’s Society for providing a very good meal for the event. The funds for these awards are raised each year from the Kiwanis hosted fish frys and their booth at the Geauga County Fair.