- Russell Uplands Preserve Hike – Saturday, July 21st, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. at Russell Uplands Preserve
Hike the “cathedral”-like forests and steep ravines of this preserve as John Janoch and Roy Podojil share history in the diverse habitat of pond, forest and streams. Trails are primitive with varied terrain, mud and uneven footing. Parking is limited, so carpooling is recommended. Directions provided at time of registration. Registration required.
- Nassau Astronomy Night with CVAS – Saturday, July 21st, 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. at Observatory Park, Nassau Astronomical Station
Join members of the Chagrin Valley Astronomical Society to take in the wonders of the night sky using our newly restored research-grade telescope! Stop in and discover this amazing facility and all that it has to offer. Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- Dancing Under the Stars – Saturday, July 21st, 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. at The West Woods, Turkey Ridge Shelter – Fee: $10
Put on your dancing shoes to enjoy a night of dancing under the stars at The West Woods! Instruction and demos till 8:00 p.m. by professionals from Fred Astaire Dance studio in Chagrin Falls will be followed by open floor. Outdoors, weather permitting; indoors if severe weather. Fee: $10 includes refreshments. Registration required.
- Dragonflying 101 – Sunday, July 22nd, 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Claridon Woodlands, Judge Lester Taylor Lodge
Come out to Claridon Woodlands and enjoy a brief indoor presentation on everything you ever wanted to know about dragonflies and damselflies, then venture into the field armed with your cameras, binoculars and nets to explore the surrounding wetland habitats and ponds for these flying jewels. Sightings will be contributed to the Ohio Dragonfly Survey through iNaturalist. Nets provided. Partially wheelchair/stroller accessible. NATURE’S NOT TO BE MISSED.
- Adventure Day Camp (Teens entering grades 8-10) – Monday, July 23rd – Friday, July 27th, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at The West Woods, Nature Center – Fee: $150 – See July 9th for description. Registration required.
- Maple Town Tune Traders – Thursday, July 26th, 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. at The West Woods, Nature Center
Singers and musicians present short performance spots followed by a jam sessions. All musical genres, instruments and musicianship levels welcome. Come to play, sing or simply enjoy as audience. Snacks to share welcome. Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- The Full Thunder Moon – Friday, July 27th, 8:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. at Observatory Park, Robert McCullough Science Center
July’s full moon is named for the thunderstorms common at this time of the year. Gain some thunderstorm expertise, then watch the (nearly) full moon rise over Observatory Park! Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- Hidden Gems Hike: Maple Highlands Trail – Saturday, July 28th, 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. at Headwaters Park, Maple Highlands Trail Parking Lot, Route 608 Entrance
Come ready to explore and join a naturalist for a two-mile hike along the paved Maple Highlands Trail, south to the Cuyahoga River covered bridge and back. Bring a water bottle. Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- Nassau Night Sky Viewing – Saturday, July 28th, 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. at Observatory Park, Nassau Astronomical Station
Observe the wonders of the night sky using this facility’s giant research-grade telescope! If weather conditions prevent sky viewing, join us for a planetarium presentation in the McCullough Science Center instead. Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- Nights Out in the Parks: Long Time Gone – Saturday, July 28th, 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at Big Creek Park, Amphitheater
Enjoy a tribute to the music of David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash and Neil Young with precision vocal harmonies, signature guitar work and the degree of passion associated with this era of American music! Refreshments served. Held inside if inclement weather. Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- Cuyahoga Canoe – Sunday, July 29th, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at Eldon Russell Park, Horwath’s Shelter
The wilds of the Upper Cuyahoga River are home to a wondrous variety of birds and beasts. Join a naturalist on this adventure as we paddle our way, discovering plants and wildlife in and along the river. Ages 10+ with adult; one child 10-12 in middle; must be 12+ to paddle. Phone registration open July 21-28. Registration required.
- The Sky Tonight Planetarium Show – Sunday, July 29th, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at Observatory Park, Robert McCullough Science Center
Join us for a planetarium presentation on what to watch for in the night sky this week. Building open house 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Weather permitting, also view the sun using our safe solar-viewing equipment. Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- Adventure Day Camp (Youth entering grades 5-7) – Monday, July 30th – Friday, August 3rd, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at The West Woods, Nature Center – Fee: $150 – See July 9th for description. Registration required.
- Geauga Walkers (For active seniors) – Tuesday, July 31st, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. at Whitlam Woods
Join other active seniors on weekly hikes of 1-1 ½ miles long in Geauga County and the surrounding area. A naturalist leads hikes scheduled in Geauga Park District parks. Call Geauga Senior Center for full schedule, 440-279-2137.