It’s not always easy to get out of the house in the winter, what with all the layers and boots and snow in the driveway – but the popular Armchair Adventures Travelogues series is one great reason to do so.
No need to pack a bag, go through security or worry about itineraries, either. These are easy opportunities to travel the world with adventurers eager to share their photos and tales.
The following travelogues can be enjoyed on the following designated Sundays from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at The West Woods Nature Center, 9465 Kinsman Road (Route 87), Russell Township.
- Alaska – Can’t Wait to Go Back! (January 5) – Join the Sauder family as they share their dream trip to Alaska! Travel with them through the inside passage, national forests, tidal shorelines and highest peaks and, after 12 days, felt they barely saw any of this incredible state!
- Tasmania – The Island Down Under (January 12) – Biologist and photographer Ami Horowitz shares pictures of flora, fauna and landscapes of Tasmania. Presented in collaboration with The Native Plant Society of Northeastern Ohio.
- The Highlands of Scotland (February 2) – The Highlands of Scotland are majestic and breathtaking – there is little doubt why there are so many stories of myth and magic! Although we are in the modern day, come take a step back in time as we explore all the highlands have to offer, both the natural side and cultural side. Join Becky Parkin for this visually stunning presentation.
- Parks of Southern Utah (February 9) – Join Bill and Sue Berger on a tour through the parks of southern Utah comparing photos from years ago to present day, getting a glimpse of the geology that makes this area so unique.
- Return to Guyana (February 16) – Join photographers and travelers Bruce and Susan Bennett on their travels through Guyana, which was voted the world’s best ecotourism destination by The Green Destinations Foundation. This trip includes exploration on horseback in southern Guyana as well as a return visit to The Rewa Eco Lodge for fishing and wildlife photography.
- Michigan’s Upper Peninsula Adventure (February 23) – Join Shane Wohlken and John Kolar on a photo journey along the crystal clear waters and rugged shoreline of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula! Visit Grand Island, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Isle Royale National Park.
Since the debut travelogue in 2006, an average crowd is 100 people, sometimes braving blizzard-like conditions to enjoy local photographers’ and travelers’ stories of discovery. Many presenters also bring maps, souvenirs or the backpacks right off their backs so people can see what is involved in taking such a trip – what do you have to take with you? These items are set up in the back of the room for pre- and post- examination and questions.
Registration is not required for any of these free, all-ages programs, which are wheelchair/stroller accessible. Please call 440-286-9516 with questions.