March is just around the corner and we’ve got a great week of events to check out in Geauga County! Support your favorite furry friends this weekend with the Foot x Foot, Paw x Paw Fine Art Auction by Rescue Village. Read about how you can take in the outdoors and stay warm at the same time by building a winter campfire. Support your community and get a delicious meal at the Auburn Fire Department Annual Pancake Breakfast.
Events on Thursday February 22nd, 2018
Events on Saturday, February 24th, 2018
- Lit Cleveland Hosts “Winter Fiction Fest” Half-Day Conference at Loganberry Books, 13015 Larchmere Boulevard, Cleveland, OH – 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Rescue Village’s Annual Fine Art Auction & Fundraiser at Lowe’s Greenhouse, Florist & Gift Shop, 16540 Chillicothe Road, Chagrin Falls, OH – 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Celebration Lutheran Church Food Bank, 106212 Auburn Road, Chardon, OH – 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Learn How to Use Your Telescope at Observatory Park, 10610 Clay Street, Montville Township, OH – 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
How to Build an Outdoor Fire in the Winter
It may be cold outside or even snowy on the ground, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a nice campfire. Building an outdoor fire in the winter is easier than you think – just follow these steps:
- Find a Safe Location to Build Your Fire. This is a great activity to do in your backyard or in a park that allows campfires.
- Clear Away Snow. If there’s snow on the ground, brush as much of it away as you can. Then, tamp it down into the ground. A flat, hard base is key to your winter fire’s success.
- Gather Firewood. If collecting wood from the forest, gather fallen timber. Look for firewood in areas with fluffy snow. This type of snow has less moisture, so wood from the surrounding area should be dryer. You can make this step easier by purchasing some fry firewood from the store.
- Find a Firestarter. Make sure you have some small twigs and dry sticks for kindling. Likewise, you can buy a fire starter log or use cotton balls.
- Build a Firepit. Build up a small platform using rocks or logs. Make sure your firebed is protected from the wind and that your base is tightly packed to the surface.
- Start the Fire. Start with your smallest pieces of wood and kindling. Use a lighter or metal match to light the fire. As the flame grows, add larger twigs and sticks to build up the fire.
- Feed the Fire. Use your logs to create a “log cabin” around your campfire. Once the flame grows, you can build a taller fire by setting larger logs in a teepee formation.
And that’s all there is to it! Just make sure you properly extinguish your fire when you’re all done. Now, get some friends, grab some cocoa and enjoy your outdoor winter fire!
Events on Sunday, February 25th, 2018
- Auburn Volunteer Fire Department Annual Pancake Breakfast, 10950 East Washington Street, Auburn Township, OH – 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m
Events on Wednesday, February 28th, 2018
- Geauga West Friends of the Library Spring Book Sale, 13455 Chillicothe Road, Chesterland, OH – Member’s Preview 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. then Open to the Public 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- First Church Congregational Lenten Series, 22 Liberty Avenue, Painesville, OH – 7:00 p.m. – 44077
Come Back Next Week for More Local Events in Northeast Ohio!
We hope you’ve enjoyed this week’s edition of The Geauga News Weekly Round Up! Be sure to check in next week for more local news and events in your area. Have a great weekend!
Have an event you want to see in next week’s edition? E-mail us your story: email@example.com
We’re looking for writers and reporters in Northeast Ohio! If you’d like to learn more, head over to this page and start your application.