On August 16th, NDCL’s campus roared to life as 703 students, including 190 freshmen, kicked off its 30th anniversary year with a series of back-to-school events featuring the first peeks at $1.7 million in improvements to our facilities and programs.
On the first two days of school, students met their new teachers and also participated in short grade-level orientation sessions with administrators, counselors, campus ministers, and student leaders.
During these sessions, President Dr. Michael Bates and Principal Mr. Joseph A. Waler took the students on quick walking tours to highlight some of the campus improvements designed to enhance student life and learning, including:
- The Wollschleger Weight Training and Wellness Center, which—when finished in a few weeks—will transform the space between McGarry and Baker gyms into a sleek, contemporary facility that reflects the quality of our athletic program and the aspirations of our student-athletes.
- The gleaming new floor in McGarry Gym, which features a resilient sub-floor suspension system to absorb some of the force that would otherwise take a toll on student-athletes’ joints and bones.
- The initial phase of locker room renovations, including installation of 200 new lockers and modernized shower facilities with individual stalls.
- A new high-tech scoreboard in Lion Stadium featuring a 17′ x 10′ video screen.
- Snazzy new band uniforms—our first since 1996. The football team is also sporting new uniforms this year as part of our normal athletic uniform rotation.
- A dedicated engineering and robotics classroom/lab to provide a home for these STEM-focused learning activities.
- 200 new laptops with speedier, more robust features. NDCL now has 792 desktops, laptops, and tablets available for student and staff use.
- Three new collaborative booths in the Sisters of Notre Dame Learning Commons.
“By growing in faith and leading with strength, we can work to transform the world today and every day.”
Senior, Julia Baitt – Student Activities Board President
All of these enhancements advance NDCL’s college-preparatory mission and fuel our students’ desire to “Grow, Lead, and Transform”—the theme chosen for this year by our Student Activities Board. Senior Julia Baitt, president of the Student Activities Board, addressed the entire school community following our opening all-school Mass on Lozick Field on August 23rd.
“Let’s focus this year on growing in faith. Let’s deepen our relationship with God, fill the seats in Annunciation Chapel for Mass and adoration, and serve others as Jesus would,” she said.
“May our faith then allow us to work together to use our God given talents and lead our community with strength. By growing in faith and leading with strength, we can work to transform the world today and every day.”
About Notre Dame Schools
Notre Dame Schools (NDES and NDCL) are located at 13000 Auburn Road in Munson Township. Notre Dame Schools engage students from preschool through high school in an exceptional Catholic education, focused on loving, respecting, and educating all to discover and develop their God-given talents.
Pictured In Cover Photo: Ready to Roar! All 190 Members of the freshman class pose for a group photo in Lion Stadium at the end of their first day as Lions!