Come one, come all, to Geauga Park District’s Frozen Fest for an afternoon of pure, unadulterated winter fun – no registration necessary and completely free!
The big event happens Sunday, Feb. 7, from noon to 4 p.m. at The West Woods Nature Center, 9465 Kinsman Road (Route 87) in Russell Township.
Last year’s Frozen Fest debut drew more than 1,700, the park’s biggest single-day draw ever! What we have planned this year incorporates some old and some brand new:
Outside the Nature Center
- Bird in the Hand feeding station – Up close and personal with avian friends!
- Free snowshoe rental – No reservations taken for the event day. First come, first served.
- Snowball shooting gallery – Test your aim as you try to topple targets with your merciless snowballs.
- “A Kid at Art” mobile classroom – Climb aboard this converted school bus to create a snowflake watercolor painting and/or a snowflake mini card!
- Meet ‘n greet with sled dogs – Meet the Siberian Husky Club of Greater Cleveland and view their equipment.
- Ice sculptures – Watch a demo and see the great work of Elegant Ice Creations.
- Snow snakes – Broom handle-sized sticks that skid across the snow like miniature toboggans. Race ’em in this old-timey sport!
- Hike – Interpretive items will be placed along the Discovery Trail for folks to find as they walk or snowshoe along. a seek-and-discover stroll.
- Outdoor camping, fire-building and cooking demo by Boy Scout Troop 102-Bainbridge
- Snowflake cards (available for folks to use and bring back throughout the event)
- “Come Home to Geauga Park District” – Explore a wigwam.
- Snowman building (as conditions allow)
Inside the Nature Center
- Otter slide & tunnels – Explore tunnels under the snow and take a ride down an otter slide!
- Home Sweet Habitat: A Place for Wildlife to Survive and Thrive special exhibit.
- Green screen booth – With Pix in a Box, “picture yourself” in a variety of beautiful park settings, then take home a photo as a memento of the day!
- Character meet ‘n greets – Say hello to popular winter snowman characters, including a singing snowman you might know! Great photo opportunities!
- Refreshments – Bring your appetite for a snowflake cookie and our fun hot cocoa bar! Coffee and tea also on the menu.
- Ice painting – Create artwork with colored ice!
- Wildlife in Winter touch table – Discover where animals go in winter and how they survive, and check out a video of painted turtles and wood frogs thawing after being frozen solid!
- Live old-time stringband music by Oak Island Skunk Jumpers
- Puppet shows (lasting approx. 15 minutes, offered every hour beginning at 12:30 p.m.
- Face painting by Amanda’s Elaborate Eyes (featured last year)
- Photo exhibit (Shutterbugs Camera Club)
- Snowflake craft and classroom activities (TBA)
- Treetops Nature Store (winter-themed merchandise)
Shuttles will be present from noon to 4:30 p.m. to transport people between The West Woods and overflow lots at ASM International and, as needed, Teague Plaza.
No registration is required to attend. Just call 440-286-9516 with questions – and please spread the word to interested family and friends!
This article is brought to you by Geauga Park District