There are very few people I know that do not like Underground Ham Casserole. I featured the original recipe for Underground Ham Casserole on Geauga News last February and I have actually made it several times over using the same recipe. That is until this past Sunday! I decided to play around with the ingredients, and like I always tell you to do, I made it my own!
To my surprise it was a huge hit, with us loving every tasty bite. Such a hit – that I decided it needed to be shared so all of you could enjoy it as well.
This recipe is still a quick one, and I did my entire cleanup while it was in the oven baking.
- 2 Cups cubed ham
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 Can Cheddar Cheese soup
- ½ Cup milk
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Montreal Chicken Seasoning by Grill Mates
- 1 Box of Kraft Stove Top Savory Herbs Stuffing Mix
- 1 Packet of Idahoan Buttery Flavored Mashed Potatoes (I think their loaded potato packet would work great here as well)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- ¼ to ½ cup of bacon bits (used for topping you decide how much)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 13×9 baking dish and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine your ham, butter, soups, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Set aside.
Prepare the stuffing mix as directed on the box, then place into the 13×9 pan pressing lightly into your dish to even out the mixture.
Top the stuffing with your ham and soup mixture and evenly spread it over the stuffing mix.
Prepare your potato packet as directed, fold in the ½ cup of sour cream and place this mixture on top of the ham and soup mix. Should look like a newly frosted cake.
Top with bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes.
This dish is a great one to serve your family with all of the blustery winter days we have been having. It will warm their hearts also.