Sunday, February 9 ● 1 to 4 pm
Penitentiary Glen Reservation
Beat the winter blues, bundle up the family and join us on a winter walk amongst the hemlocks and through the fields of Penitentiary Glen Reservation. The 13th annual Winter Hike will take place on February 9 from 1 to 4 pm. Discover the unique aspects of winter that make spending time outdoors during this frigid season an extraordinary experience.
Choose between a short walk on flat terrain or a longer hike with varying terrain and some small hills. Both hikes will be at a leisurely pace and led by Lake Metroparks naturalists. Hikers wishing to go at their own pace may choose a self-guided hike. Easy-to-follow, weather-proof trail maps are available in the Nature Center. All ages are welcome to participate in the Winter Hike; under 18 with an adult, please.
After the hike, gather in the Nature Center to warm up with soup, rolls, cornbread and hot beverages while listening to the acoustic music of local musician Melissa Harvey. Enjoy s’mores by a roaring campfire and up-close encounters with animal ambassadors during animal chats given by our wildlife care team. Stop by the Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center to view additional native Ohio wildlife up close.
Hikers are reminded to dress in warm, comfortable layers. Hiking boots or comfortable footwear that are sturdy, warm and water repellent are required as the trails may be snow- and/or mud-covered. A hiking stick can also be a useful tool while navigating the trails.
A hike patch with a separate commemorative year hike patch, soup, beverages, s’mores and more are all included as part of the registration for Winter Hike. Registration is $7 for participants ages 9 and up, $5 for children ages 2 to 8 and free for children under 2. For more information and to register, visit https://goto.lakemetroparks.com/winter-hike or call 440-358-7275. Registration is requested for the Winter Hike.
Additional natural fun at Penitentiary Glen Reservation
- Discover the sights and sounds of wildlife at the interactive Nature Calls exhibit.
- Watch and listen to birds and other wildlife through the Window on Wildlife.
- Explore the outdoors with seasonal hands-on activities that help you discover nature in the park.
- Walk the trails on snowshoes (Available to rent, weather permitting)
- Browse our selection of hiking and other nature-related items in The Nature Store including birdfeeders, wildlife houses and other accessories, binoculars, books and field guides for adults and children, nature-inspired t-shirts and discovery toys.
Penitentiary Glen Reservation is located at 8668 Kirtland-Chardon Rd in Kirtland (44094).