On Thursday, February 21st, COSI came to Ledgemont Elementary to teach students in kindergarten through sixth grade about the weather. With the help of several volunteer Berkshire High School students enrolled in upper-level science classes running hands-on activity stations, Ledgemont Elementary students experienced how weather works.
Students in K-6 started the day with a building-wide assembly lead by a COSI educator at which they created a thunderstorm and set the tone for the day's activities. Later, students had 35-45 minutes to explore eight different hands-on stations to learn about the ins and outs of how weather works. Stations included: Weather Instruments, Weather in a Vacuum, A Bellowing Wind,Prediction Puzzler, Canister Cloud, Tornado Tubes, Measuring the Wind, and Dicey Situations. Students had fun and learned as they predicted weather, created clouds, vacuums, and “the perfect storm.”
Thank you to COSI and, especially, to the high school students who volunteered their time to make the program a success!
Important Information and Dates
- Upcoming PRIME Community Presentations:
- Monday, March 5th – Claridon Twp Trustee Mtg at Claridon Town Hall at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 14th – Burton Public Library at 6:30 p.m.
- March 20th – Montville Trustee Meeting at Montville Community Center at 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 3rd – Troy Trustee Meeting at Troy Community House at 7:00 p.m.
- Juniors have started their third fundraiser of the year to help bankroll Prom 2018. This Honeybaked Ham fundraiser event runs through Tuesday, March 20th. People wishing to purchase a Honeybaked Ham product should contact a member of the junior class or email advisor Mrs. Beitzel-Rowe at email@example.com to order.
- Congratulations to Josiah Cheung who took second place at the Burton-Middlefield Rotary 4-Way Speech Competition.
- Congratulations to the Berkshire PenOhio Team. On Saturday, February 10th, eleven Berkshire High School students competed in creative nonfiction writing for top honors and scholarships at the Regional PenOhio Writing Tournament held at Cuyahoga Community College. PenOhio is a statewide writing league for public, private and parochial students in grades 7-12. Students competed in two divisions: Varsity (grades 11/12) and Junior Varsity (grades 9/10).
- Congratulations to the Burton Elementary “Mathletes.” “A Piece of Pi Squared”, Algebrainiacs”, Number Crunchers” and “The Vertex” were among six teams of 5th and 6th graders from Burton Elementary who participated in a Math Problem Solving Tournament organized by The Greater Cleveland Council of Teachers of Mathematics to promote enthusiasm for mathematics and to recognize students for their interest and talents in problem-solving.