Geauga Park District is pleased to unveil its upcoming summer repertoire for Elderberries: Seniors Ripe for Adventure!, featuring our newest park just outside of Chagrin Falls and an internationally recognized dark night sky in Montville Township!
Registration is required at 440-286-9516 or www.geaugaparkdistrict.org for these programs, all co-presented by Geauga Park District, the Geauga Department on Aging and University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center, and partially wheelchair accessible depending on your choice activities.
- Elderberries: Paddling and Peddling in the Park – Thursday, July 18th from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., at Headwaters Park’s Boathouse – Let’s explore the water from kayaks! We’ll offer three sessions of kayaking and a guided bike ride (BYOB – bring your own bike!), followed by a picnic lunch and EZ Go Cart tours of the park. Register for the event online; sign up for each kayak session will take place at the event.
- Elderberries: Blossoms & Bingo – Thursday, August 15th from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., at Holbrook Hollows – This new park outside of Chagrin Falls debuts with an outing featuring a free pancake breakfast, short Nature walk, summer wildflowers, rowdy rounds of wildlife bingo and EZ Go Cart rides.
- Elderberries: Heavenly Bodies Astronomy Night – Thursday, September 19th from 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., at Observatory Park – Take in an entertaining planetarium show, then head outside (weather permitting) to peer deep into the night sky through the Oberle telescope, viewing planets, nebula and other celestial features. After-dark desserts and coffee will be served, as well as rides along the Planetary Trail on the EZ Go Cart.
Did you know that Geauga Park District naturalists also lead Geauga Walkers hikes of active seniors year-round, usually a couple Tuesdays a month from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.? Upcoming hikes this season are:
- July 2nd at The West Woods’ Affelder House
- July 9th at the closed Lake County landfill at 7166 Brooklane Road in Chesterland
- July 16th at Holbrook Hollows
- July 30th at Swine Creek Reservation
- August 13th at Russell Uplands Preserve
- August 27th at Big Creek Park’s Woodin Road horse trailer parking lot
- September 10th at Orchard Hills Park
- September 24th at Veterans Legacy Woods.
Registration is not required for these hikes, which are not wheelchair accessible. For a complete Geauga Walkers schedule, please call Geauga Senior Center at 440-279-2126.
And finally, if you enjoy live music in the Great Outdoors, consider coming out to a Nights Out in the Parks concert, the following Saturdays from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Big Creek Park’s Frances S. Hall Amphitheater:
- July 20th – Tom Todd, a tribute to Jimmy Buffet
- August 24th – Night Dawgs, featuring danceable classic rock songs by J. Geils, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and more.
Admission is free and includes refreshments; shows simply moves indoors in case of inclement weather.
For more on Geauga Park District offerings, please call 440-286-9516 or visit Geauga Park District online via www.geaugaparkdistrict.org, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube.