Want to see new things in Nature? Let a Geauga Park District naturalist be your guide as you stretch your wings to see some new spots outside of Geauga County’s parks.
Registration is required at 440-286-9516 or www.geaugaparkdistrict.org for the following expeditions, which all leave this season from The West Woods. These van trips typically fill up fast, so please don’t delay signing up!
- High Rise Homes: Osprey Van Tour – Saturday, July 6th from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Osprey have made an astounding comeback in Ohio and can be seen plunging for fish on Geauga’s lakes. Join us for this tour of local osprey nests atop cell towers. Nature’s Not to Be Missed.
- Dragon-Hunting Van Trip: Morgan Park, Portage County – Saturday, July 20th from 11:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Dragonflies and damselflies are the insects of interest on this van trip and hike at one of Portage County’s newer parks. Come explore the meadows, wetlands and surrounding habitats at Morgan Park for these amazing insects. Our species list will then be given to the Ohio Odonata Society for a survey currently underway.
- Purple Martin Van Trip – Wednesday, August 14th from 6:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. – Bring your binoculars, spotting scopes and cameras for this van trip to see Purple Martins staging for migration in large reed islands on Nimisila Lake in Summit County. Bring a packed dinner/snack for a sunset picnic. Nature’s Not to Be Missed.
- Glacial Geology Van Trip – Saturday, August 17th from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. – This van trip highlights glacial features on the Geauga landscape with stops including glacial kames, kettle lakes and an esker, plus a visit to an active glacial outwash sand and gravel operation.
- Dragon-Hunting Van Trip: Summit County – Saturday, August 24th from 10:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at The West Woods – Dragonflies and damselflies are still on the wing, so we’ll travel by van to explore various locations in the Metroparks Serving Summit County. Our species list will then be provided to the Ohio Odonata Society statewide survey. Dress for the weather. Bring a lunch, water bottle and snack. Registration required.
- Shorebird Van Trip – Saturday, September 7th from Noon – 4:00 p.m. – Sandpipers, plovers and terns, oh my! Join us for a unique birding adventure in search of migratory shorebirds and other water birds. We’ll head to Northeastern Ohio shorebird hotspots. Wherever the birds are reported, that is where we’ll go! Dress for the weather, as we will be on and off the van. Bring binoculars. Spotting scopes provided, additional scopes welcome. Registration required. Nature’s Not to Be Missed.
For more on Geauga Park District offerings, please call 440-286-9516 or visit Geauga Park District online via www.geaugaparkdistrict.org, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube.