The fourth annual Cleveland Inkubator festival is only a week away! Literary Cleveland is hosting five days of exciting free events for writers and readers — check out the full list of offerings below, and be sure to register soon to secure your spot.
- Book Swap and NEOMFA Reading – Tuesday, July 31st, 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. at Market Garden Brewery, 1947 West 25th Street, Cleveland
Join Lit Cleveland for our 3rd annual book swap party! This is a great chance to re-gift some books you no longer want and pick up some new-to-you summer reads. Featuring readings by NEOMFA grads Brandon North, Emily Troia, and Andrew Wehmann.
- Outloud Cleveland – Wednesday, August 1st, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Happy Dog at the Euclid Tavern, 11625 Euclid Ave, Cleveland
OutLoud Cleveland is a reading and storytelling event that brings together writers of fiction, poetry, and storytellers from the LGBTQ+ community in Northeastern Ohio. Featuring local writers Penelope Jeanne Girlblood, M; Margo, and EF Schraeder, and MC’d by writer and Lit Cleveland programming fellow Alex DiFrancesco.
- Writing About Your Neighborhood – Thursday, August 2nd, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Seeds of Literacy, 13815 Kinsman Road, Cleveland
This event will focus on using place-based writing to tell the story of where you live. What is challenging about living in your neighborhood? What gives you hope? Each presenter will provide their perspective, examples, prompts, and writing advice. The session will include a prompt and time to write. Led by Justin Glanville and DL Ware.
- How Do You Create Suspense? I’ll Tell You Later – Friday, August 3rd, CPL Learning Commons, 525 Superior Ave, Cleveland
In this workshop, led by award-winning author Benjamin Percy, we will discuss techniques that will make your reader lean forward instead of back. We will cover a range of subjects — structural designs, set-piece moments, withholding information, backstory, the balance of emotional and physical beats, and more — and any lecturing will be rounded out by discussion and exercises. Part of our Writers and Readers series in partnership with Cleveland Public Library.
- Inkubator Conference – Saturday, August 4th, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., CPL Louis Stokes Wing, 525 Superior Ave, Cleveland
Lit Cleveland’s annual Inkubator conference returns with a jam packed day of writing workshops, craft talks, discussions, and a keynote reading by Benjamin Percy. Sessions are filling up fast — sign up now to reserve your spot!