As everyone from Northeast Ohio knows, summers can be more than hot and humid – they can be brutal! How often have you wished you could just skip out of work and get out on the water to laze your way through the day while canoeing, fishing, or swimming at your leisure? Though I don’t recommend walking out on your boss, I do recommend you get in touch with Camp Hi Canoe Livery in Hiram! Whether alone or with the kids, Camp Hi has a trip for you. From one to six hours in length, you can travel over 25 miles along a beautiful winding route on the Upper Cuyahoga which has been designated a State Scenic River. Its average depth is 4 to 5 feet with an average current of 2 miles per hour…perfect speed for lazing, wouldn’t you agree?
Camp Hi has been in the canoeing business since 1966 providing quality; quality canoe and kayaking equipment, quality picnic and playground areas, and quality customer service – especially their courteous drivers who are always on hand to transport you.
At Camp Hi you’ll find:
- Family discounts, and group discounts up to 40% off.
- Beautiful grounds for picnic use before or after your trip.
- Trips on one of the most scenic rivers in Northeastern Ohio
- Dam controlled water levels ensure that there is always plenty of water – even if a draught is going on!
If you’re a bit inexperienced in canoe handling, just ask the friendly staff for pointers. They want to assure your safety and will be happy to help. Regarding safety, remember these important tips:
- Know your destination
- Allow enough time for your trip.
- Be prepared for the weather with rain gear, a hat, a change of clothes, sunscreen, etc.
- No glass or styrofoam containers
- Do Not Trespass
- Groups should bring a cell phone & First Aid Kit.
- Bring lots of water or juice to drink. Kids get dehydrated easily and soft drinks increase the number of times that you will need to pull over.
- Wear your life vest!
- Keep your weight low in the boat at all times!
- Fireworks are prohibited.
- Stay sober and straight.
- No alcohol and other drugs prior to or during your trip. These substances impair judgement and increase the risk of injury or drowning. And Ohio State Law prohibits the operation of any watercraft while under the influence.
What will you find at Camp Hi? Here are few enticing photos to ‘wet’ your appetite for more!
“I recently went on a canoe trip at Camp Hi. Our group was not very experienced in the canoeing department but we had a blast. We have already planned another trip for next month. I think I will try the kayaks this time though.” ~Stacey Rauch
Camp Hi Hours of Operation
Open 7 days a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day, no appointments needed
Rentals are available 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Boats must be returned by 6:00 p.m.
12274 Abbott Road, Hiram, Ohio 44234 • 330-569-7621