Find your adventure in Geauga Park District this summer – from kayaking and canoeing to meteors and caterpillars to dancing under the stars and the grand opening of Claridon Woodlands!
Here are our offerings for July, 2018. You may also view these programs and events published on our new website, Geauga Park District, and in our quarterly Park Explorer newsletter, which is mailed to every Geauga County household and available from all in-county libraries.
- X-TREME Days: Kayak River Challenge (Teens entering grades 8-10) – Monday, July 2nd, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Eldon Russell Park, Horwath’s Shelter – Fee: $30
The wilds of the Upper Cuyahoga River are home to a wondrous variety of birds and beasts. Join camp staff on this 10-mile “X-treme” adventure as we paddle our way, discovering plants and wildlife in and along the river.
Participants should bring a lunch and water bottle in a waterproof bag, as well as sunscreen and insect repellent that can be applied on site if needed. Participants will be dropped off at Eldon Russell Park and picked up at Camp Hi Canoe Livery, 12274 Abbott Road, Hiram. Financial assistance is available. Please call 440-286-9516 for details. Also on Thursday, July 5th. Registration required.
- X-TREME Days: High Ropes Adventure Challenge (Teens entering grades 8-10) – Tuesday, July 3rd, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Claridon Woodlands, Judge Lester Taylor Lodge – Fee: $30
Meet at the new Claridon Woodlands Park to explore the brand new high ropes course, then bike The Maple Highlands Trail to Headwaters Park, where you’ll kayak on the beautiful East Branch Reservoir. After exploring the lake, hop back on your bike and head north back to Claridon Woodlands for pick-up. Financial assistance is available. Please call 440-286-9516 for details. Also on Friday, July 6th. Registration required.
- Geauga Walkers (For active seniors) – Tuesday, July 3rd, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. at Big Creek Park, Deep Woods Shelter
Join other active seniors on weekly hikes of 1-1 ½ miles long in Geauga County and the surrounding area. A naturalist leads hikes scheduled in Geauga Park District parks. Call Geauga Senior Center for full schedule, 440-279-2137.
- X-TREME Days: Kayak River Challenge (Teens entering grades 8-10) – Thursday, July 5th, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Eldon Russell Park, Horwath’s Shelter – Fee: $30 – See July 2nd for description. Registration required.
- X-TREME Days: High Ropes Adventure Challenge (Teens entering grades 8-10) – Friday, July 6th, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Claridon Woodlands, Judge Lester Taylor Lodge – Fee: $30 – See July 3rd for description. Registration required.
- Grand River Kayak – Saturday, July 7th, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. at The West Woods, Nature Center
Be transported by park van to the wilds of the Grand River Conservation Campus in Ashtabula County for a day-long paddling excursion led by naturalists. This area is home to a wondrous variety of birds, dragonflies, reptiles and other critters. Bring a lunch, snacks, water bottle, sunscreen and insect repellent in a waterproof bag. Kayaks will be provided by Geauga Park District. Participants should have previous kayak experience. Registration required.
- Timbertots: Incredible Insects! (Ages 3-5 w/adult)
Saturday, July 7th, 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Swine Creek Reservation, Woods Edge Shelter
Wednesday, July 11, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. at The West Woods, Turkey Ridge Shelter
Let’s explore pond, field and forest in search of our six-legged friends! Outdoors, weather permitting, so please dress accordingly. Program designed for a specified age group; older or younger siblings will not be considered registered participants. Wheelchair/stroller accessible. Registration required.
- Nights Out in the Parks: Northern Comfort Band – Saturday, July 7th, 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at Big Creek Park, Amphitheater
Enjoy a heaping helping of traditional country music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s! The Northern Comfort Band pays tribute to Waylon, Merle, Johnny and a smorgasbord of other Nashville, Texas and Bakersfield legends. Tasteful and twangy – just the way you like it! Refreshments served. Held inside if inclement weather. Wheelchair/stroller accessible.
- High Rise Homes: Osprey Van Tour – Sunday, July 8th, 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. at The West Woods, Nature Center
Board a park van for a tour of local osprey nests atop cell towers. Having made an astounding comeback in Ohio, these “fish hawks” are seen plunging for fish on Geauga’s lakes. Registration required. NATURE’S NOT TO BE MISSED.
- Burgers & Butterflies, Dogs & Dragons – Sunday, July 8th, 12:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Swine Creek Reservation, Lake Side Shelter
Earn a free lunch when you catch a butterfly or dragonfly as you participate in this annual butterfly and dragonfly survey of Swine Creek Reservation. Nets provided. Experts will identify your specimens. Partially wheelchair/stroller accessible. NATURE’S NOT TO BE MISSED.
- Adventure Day Camp (Youth entering grades 5-7) – Monday, July 9th – Friday, July 13th, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at The West Woods, Nature Center – Fee: $150
Are you ready for an adventure!? If so, join Geauga Park District’s Adventure Day Camp for an exciting week of exploring, biking, kayaking, fishing, sending rockets high into the sky and more! Participants begin and end each day at The West Woods Nature Center. Transportation will be provided to other park locations for various activities facilitated by highly qualified staff. Schedules, waivers and other details will be sent at a later date. Camp waiver will be required for each participant. Bring lunch, water and a raincoat in a backpack for each day’s activities. Other equipment will be provided and is included in the registration fee. Financial assistance is available. Please call 440-286-9516 for details. Registration required.